Thursday, September 1, 2011

SUMPANGO GUATEMALA TRIP REPORT Day #1

I wrestled my groggy body out of the bed at 3am, showered, grabbed a bite to eat and dashed off to Mitchell Field to catch a 6am flight to Guatemela City. The flight went well until final approach into Guatemala City when the plane slammed violently down onto the tarmac. Even the flight attendant sitting in front of me had a panic-stricken look on her face. Hers wasn't the only furrowed brow or anxious expression.

I grabbed ny belongings, cleared customs and headed outside where my friend Enrique Fernandez was waiting for my arrival. We headed toward the city stopping only for a bite to eat before making our way to Sumpango. I had forgotten how much I loved the city of Sumpango. It's nestled among the foothills about 42 km east of Guatemala City. You actually can see several volcanos (one of them active) from the streets. Cobblestone streets are lined with tiny brightly painted tiendas. The sight of fresh vegetables and the aroma of street vendors wafts through the air. I was tempted more than once to sample the fresh salsa at several but resisted.

I've been told that every city in Guatemala has it's patron saint. Sumpango is no exception, for the city still bears witness to the festivals and celebrations that occurred just last week to commemorate and honor her beloved saint--Augustine. No wonder I have a fondness for the city--she and I share a common affection--Augustine of Hippo.

It is here in this city that the Chaquito family has resided for years. Humble, hard-working people--Jose, Alejandra, Armando, Oscar and Karla. They are some of the sweetest most hospitable people I've met anywhere in the world. All of them are knee-deep in their commitment to their local church Los Olivos, a church affiliated with the Evangelical Free Church of America. Tomorrow afternoon Enrique and I will begin equipping and interacting with their leaders.

It's good to be here. Thanks for your prayers for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment