Saturday, June 6, 2009

Bangladesh Revisited

Imagine a country that is geographically the size of Wisconsin, but its population is 20 times our state. That’s Bangladesh. Like neighboring India—it’s full! However, the Bengali people are wonderful, kind-hearted and gracious. My hosts, Jim and Elaine Dressner have been serving in one of the world’s poorest countries as non-Government officials (NGO’s as they call them) for more than 20 years. The population is 88% Muslim while 11% are Hindu and their ministry among the people focuses mainly on relief and development. I was quite impressed with the work they are doing.

This was actually my first time to a predominantly Muslim country. Several things struck me like: the industriousness and resourcefulness of the people, their progressive mindset in the face of some rather overwhelming odds, and the significant challenges for the church. When one is in a country like Bangladesh, traditional ways of reaching people with the Gospel are rarely effective. You aren’t allowed to preach openly and even church meetings take place in small houses with small gatherings of believers. Living as a Christ-follower in a context like this requires a whole different approach. You must “live” out your faith every day. Most every day Jim and I would walk through outside markets. We were greeted by smiling Muslim shopkeepers who insisted we sit and have a cup of tea. In fact, the hospitality shown to me as a foreigner by Muslim people was quite a contrast to the usual stereotypical image most Christians have of Muslim people. Every place I went I never felt threatened or unsafe. It was comfortable. I met Muslim background believers whose families had rejected them, or in some cases, disowned them. A few days in Bangladesh made me think about how “programmatic” the church in the west has become. We never intend to be this way, but our hectic pace and penchant for results, sometimes diminishes the value we place on just spending time relating to people.

I met believers who were deeply committed to helping make the lives of Bengalis better, whether through teaching them electrical wiring, welding or small machine repair. If you insist that people be Christian or become Christian before enrolling in these programs, you will never succeed. The emphasis throughout is to incarnate the love of Christ everywhere with people who are quite different in mindset and belief. The work is slow and hard but rewarding. I met Kashem and Kamal, both of whom are serving in a town called Joypara. In quiet, unassuming and effective ways they are seeking to help plant a church where there is no church. I was introduced to Ramjan Ali, a young Muslim background believer who has just finished two years of Biblical studies and wants to help improve and resource the people in his own country.

Every time I take a trip like this I’m humbled to discover what I do not know. Thanks, Lord for opportunities like these.

S t r e t c h e d


originally posted on my old blog on January 8, 2008


No comments:

Post a Comment