Saturday, June 6, 2009

Off to Asia

Terry and I are sitting in a hospital room tonight with our son Drew. He has just undergone surgery to remove both tonsils. Thankfully the patient is resting for a few hours before we become another statistic in “short hospital stays.” We estimate an 11:30pm departure for home later tonight!

In just a few days I will be leaving for three weeks to visit two Asian countries. I will fly to Dhaka, Bangladesh on Saturday to visit some dear friends. This dear couple and their two children have been serving as relief workers in Bangladesh for many years among some of the poorest people in the world. I have always admired their consistent and faithful work there and now I will have the opportunity to visit for three or four days seeing it firsthand.

From there I will take a rather circuitous route to the southern part of India arriving in the city of Coimbatore where I will be met by my longtime friend Murli Menon. Murli and his lovely wife Usha, head up the Nilgiris Institute for Christian Studies in Ooty, India. Ooty was once a favorite vacation destination for British colonialists and is located high up in the Nilgiris Hills amidst terraced tea plantations. It’s a beautiful place with cooler temps offering welcome relief from the usual Indian heat and humidity. My trips there always include picking up a fresh supply of one Terry’s favorite teas: Silver Cloud. I thoroughly enjoy teaching the students at the Nilgiris Institute. Many of these students come from smaller villages and upon graduation will go on to pastor churches throughout this vast country.

If you take the two hour journey down the mountain from Ooty you will arrive at Quiet Corner. Quiet Corner is the ministry founded by my dear friend Thomas Samuel. Thomas and his wife Mary Kutty started this ministry years ago after serving for many years as the Director of OM ministries in India. This will be my fourth visit to Quiet Corner. Thomas’ son Paul Samuel, now directs this ministry and he has arranged a three-day Pastor’s conference at the Center. I understand that some of those attending will come from the State of Orissa, a place recently featured in the headlines because of the severe outbreak of persecution against Christians by radical Hindus.

I plan to return to the States on January 20th. I would greatly appreciate your prayers as I teach, train and encourage these dear servants of Christ. Stay tuned to my blog as I will be giving periodic updates throughout my journey.

S t r e t c h e d


originally posted on my old blog on December 29, 2008


No comments:

Post a Comment